BullGuard prevents Trusteer Rapport updating?

Posted 1/20/2015 9:05 PM

NorthPole Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 176
I have recently been in contact with IBM, who now own the Trusteer Rapport software recommended by many Banks etc. as an additional online security precaution. My problem was that an installation of Rapport (since removed) on my PC (Windows 7 x64) repeatedly failed to update, although the Management Console showed messages stating that an update would be applied the next time the PC was started.

IBM's response is to suggest that BullGuard may be preventing Rapport from updating, and suggest temporarily disabling BullGuard to test this. As I am reluctant to reinstall Rapport yet again, I wondered if there are any comments from other BullGuard users who may also have experienced this problem, or from BullGuard Support?
Posted 1/22/2015 8:19 PM

Robert Mateescu Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 422
Hi NorthPole,

Rapport is a genuine IBM program and it is possible that the Safe Browsing component of the BullGuard Antivirus blocks the update.
Disable the BullGuard Antivirus module and test if you can update the program.
Let me know the result.

Best wishes!
Robert Mateescu
Senior Support Technician EN
[url]support@bullguard.com[/url]
www.bullguard.com

Download the Free Trial version of BullGuard Internet Security

You have a BullGuard related problem? Contact our Support team directly via Live Chat for immediate assistance: https://www.bullguard.com/support.aspx!
Posted 1/22/2015 10:08 PM

anniesboy Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 72
I some while ago used Trusteer Rapport,along with many other people (non Bullguard users included) found it caused all sorts of problems.

Hence I like many others will not use it. I found it a complete hassle my bank suggests using it ,they would say that of course.

My online banking security is not compromised without it.
Posted 1/23/2015 4:28 PM

Date Joined Nov 2016
Hi anniesboy,

Please check your contract (or call the bank and ask) in order to find out if having Trusteer Rapport installed on your computer(s) is mandatory to recover your funds in case your bank account is hacked.
I do not think this is a sine qua non requirement, but it is better to double check.

Cheers!
Robert Mateescu
www.bullguard.com

You have a BullGuard related problem? Contact our Support team directly via Live Chat for immediate assistance: https://www.bullguard.com/support.aspx!
Posted 1/23/2015 10:48 PM

anniesboy Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 72
It is not mandatory.
I would change banks if they tried to make it so.
Posted 1/25/2015 1:45 PM

NorthPole Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 176
"Robert Mateescu" wrote:
It is possible that the Safe Browsing component of the BullGuard Antivirus blocks the update.
Disable the BullGuard Antivirus module and test if you can update the program.

Robert,

As mentioned, I have now uninstalled Trusteer Rapport, so I can't test your suggestion myself. However, I am rather puzzled that the BullGuard Safe Browsing module would have any impact on Rapport's failure to update - as I understand it, Safe Browsing simply warns the user when attempting to go to an unsafe URL. Rapport downloads updates in the background and applies the update at the next reboot, so it's not easy to test by disabling BullGuard AV.
Posted 1/26/2015 1:45 AM

Date Joined Nov 2016
Hi NorthPole,

Please note that the Safe Browsing module scans all links, not only the ones you access from your browser.
Find a website that is detected by BullGuard as malicious, create a new word document and paste the address there. You will see that the word document is detected as potentially dangerous and quarantined.
The same applies for links that are accessed by background processes. Although Rapport's links are not blocked, you can check if the Safe Browsing module is causing the issue by disabling it.
Secondly, the Behavioral scanner may block the update process if the program is modifying system files. If the update problem persists, turn BHV off and test again.

Let me know the result.
Robert Mateescu
www.bullguard.com

• Unread posts or replies
  • No unread posts or replies
  • Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)
  • No Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)

Forum Information

Currently it is Thursday, December 1, 2022, 11:12 AM (GMT +1)
There are a total of 61,974 posts in 13,697 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 0 new threads and 0 reply posts.

Who's online

This forum has 38,573 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, iAwake.
89 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.