The BullGuard products and services are part of NortonLifeLock Inc., a global leader in consumer Cyber Safety with a portofolio of brands including Norton, Avira and more. Learn more at NortonLifeLock.com

Windows 7 HomeGroup and streaming to Xbox 360/PS3

Posted 11/7/2009 2:09 AM

Jason Ward Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 1
I like to stream music and movies from my PC with Bullguard on it to my Xbox 360 and PS3.

Since I upgraded to Windows 7, this isn't possible with Bullguard installed. I turned off Windows Firewall and Defender. I install Bullguard, updated it and then I can no longer use the HomeGroup to communicate with my Network Devices.

During one attempt, it wouldn't even let me create a HomeGroup with Bullguard installed. Once I uninstall it, everything is fine.

If I uninstall Bullguard, everything works but if I right click the Bullguard icon and close it out, it still doesn't work. Only uninstalling Bullguard solves my problem.

I currently have Bullguard installed and my Security Profile set to "Low Security (Allow All Applications)," yet it doesn't work. If I uninstall Bullguard, communication can resume.

What do I have to do to allow the HomeGroup to do work sucessfully with Bullguard?

I emailed Bullguard through the program and they said:

"Bullguard Customer Service" wrote:
1. Open the BullGuard program and go to the Antivirus section > Protection tab. Choose to "Turn it off" and then check if the same issue persists.
2. If it does please re-enable the Antivirus engine and go to the Firewall section > Overview tab. Choose to "Turn it off" and then check if the same issue persists with the Firewall off.
3. Afterwards please turn the Firewall back on and go to the Spamfilter section > Overview tab and press the "Turn it off" line. Tell me if the issue persists when only the Spamfilter is turned off.
4. Right-click the BullGuard icon from the bottom right corner of your screen and choose the "Close" option. Check if the same issue persists and let me know what is the result.

I of course did all these actions, with the same result. Streaming cannot take place with Bullguard installed. I turned everything off. No media servers can be found by my systems.

If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.
Posted 11/8/2009 7:57 PM

Tavi Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 164
Hello Jason,

Please tell me if you tried to disabled the Agnitum Firewall Driver from your currently running network connection. It cam sometimes cause issues with your connections.
Cheers,

Octavian Arvunescu
Senior Support Technician

Please read the forum rules before posting

Try BullGuard here
Posted 11/9/2009 12:41 PM

Mark.D Valued member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 20
Welcome to my pain! I have EXACTLY the same issues as you describe (can't share files either) and have had a support ticket open for a while. I have had many replies from support, but none of them have fixed the issue.

I have also asked support a number of times if I am the only one with Windows 7 issues - they have never responded to this :(

But I'm glad (sorry) that you also have the exact issues as me. It means it's a BullGuard issue and not something 'weird' with my setup.

I have another thread on the front page titled 'Windows 7 x64 and BullGuard 8.7 issues', but noone has replied to it saying they have Windows 7 problems.

@Tavi : I have tried disabling the Agnitum Firewall Driver, but that didn't help. I replied in my other thread with my ticket number you requested. Any progress on that?

It would be good if someone from BullGuard could either admit there are issues with Windows 7 and BullGuard 8.7, or say that everything should be working for us.
Posted 11/9/2009 2:25 PM

Alex S. Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 56
Hi,

I'm not sure if a HomeGroup can be used for now to share files with video game consoles.

Jason, have you tried sharing the files through conventional sharing, like Windows Media Player, or a third party client?
Alex Sarchiz
[url]support@bullguard.com[/url]
www.bullguard.com
Posted 11/9/2009 4:15 PM

Mark.D Valued member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Hi Jason,

Could you please try something for me? Could you share a folder on your Windows 7 PC with BullGuard installed and see if you can see that folder (or even the machine itself) from another PC on the network?

I see you have media sharing issues (as I do), but would be interesting if you also have file/folder sharing issues.

Many thanks,
Mark.D
Posted 11/10/2009 4:01 PM

wills_b Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 5
Ditto the same problem here.

I have managed to get my media folders synched but can't stream anything.

As for Home Group, I chose set up a home group and Windows just bounces up a message It cannot set up a home group on this computer. Running trouble shooter points the finger at Bullguard, but doesnt say anything else.

Even turning off all 3 engines at once, or exiting Bullguard make no difference.

Incredibly annoying... If it is down to Bullguard it needs to be sorted pronto because if it blocks media streaming and home group file sharing that is crippling a massive chunk of windows.

Alex - I think he meant both aren't working, rather than trying to use Homegroup to file share.
Posted 11/10/2009 4:21 PM

wills_b Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Mark.D wrote:

The startup issue has been (kind of) resolved by setting the BullGuard Firewall Service startup type to 'Automatic (Delayed Startup)'.

Although this means the network starts correctly every time, it means that (on my machine) the service does not start for 1 minute and 50 seconds after a network is established. This means that for nearly 2 minutes, the machine is vulnerable to attack. Not ideal really.

Things I have tried to get file and media sharing working without success :

1. Close BullGuard and stop ALL BullGuard services. According to Network Troubleshooter, ports are still being blocked by 'AFW Filter'.
2. Disable the HomeGroup (I managed to create one after uninstalling BullGuard in between tests).
3. Disable IPv6 in the network adapter settings.
4. All the above at the same time.
5. Add rules that allow all traffic in and out.

The only thing that gets the sharing working is uninstalling BullGuard :(

Would really love to hear from other Windows 7 guys using BullGuard to see if they have the same issues or not.

Post Edited (Mark.D) : 04-11-2009 21:55:20 GMT

Thought I would try and consolidate things to one post.

Apparently Homegroup requires IPv6 to work, so disabling that definately isn't going to work.

I think I'm going to uninstall Bullguard until this is fixed. Desperate to get Homegroup working properly.
Posted 11/10/2009 9:38 PM

Alex S. Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Hi,

Just to clarify things, there are two issues that need to be taken into account for BullGuard 8.7:

1. At startup, BullGuard will always display the "Network changes detected" baloon if the settings are received via DHCP. This will happen even if the IP received is the same all the time.
2. Media sharing is not possible via pre existent HomeGroups if BullGuard is installed. Also, no HomeGroups can be created if BullGuard is running.

Our QA team is invesitgating the matter in order to release a patch that will fix both these issues. However, I cannot specify any time when the patch will be live at this moment.

LATER EDIT: Forgot to mention that both these issues are specific only to Windows 7. 8.7 versions running on XP or Vista will not suffer from them.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.
Alex Sarchiz
www.bullguard.com
Posted 11/11/2009 12:06 AM

wills_b Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Thank you. Appreciate the direct nature of your answer.

I hadn't even noticed the first issue but it's an annoyance at best, so I would focus on the homegroup issue.

any word on the issue of blocking media player extenders?
Posted 11/11/2009 2:20 PM

Mark.D Valued member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Many thanks for that Alex.

To clarify something from my end, file sharing isn't working for me even if I don't have a HomeGroup set up. So for me, this is just 'standard' Windows file sharing that isn't working.

Also, the startup issue is much worse for me than just receiving a simple message - my network will not start about 80% of the time if BullGuard is installed. Through support, we identified the issue as being a race condition between the network starting up and BullGuard Firewall service initialising. The solution was to set the Firewall startup type to 'Automatic (Delayed Startup)' which forced the Firewall to wait before initialising. Although this fixes the issue, the Firewall does not start for nearly 2 minutes after a network connection is available. Support have confirmed that this issue is resolved in the new BullGuard 9 currently in development. I'm not sure if a patch for 8.7 will be made available to fix this issue.
Posted 11/23/2009 10:13 AM

iarhill Valued member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 16
Purely on the Homegroup issue. I got the same error message and contacted support. To their credit they replied on instant chat immediately. But the essence of the reply was that they really did not know that Win 7 was on the way and had not spotted the issue. There is no resolution at present and they do not know when there will be.
Posted 11/25/2009 10:24 AM

SirDigbyChicken Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 8
"iarhill" wrote: Purely on the Homegroup issue. I got the same error message and contacted support. To their credit they replied on instant chat immediately. But the essence of the reply was that they really did not know that Win 7 was on the way...

What?? There have been betas out for ages.

I've been using Bullguard, on and off, for years. I've just upgraded to Windows 7 (a glance at the Bullguard website seemed to indicate the software could handle the OS upgrade - how foolish am I??) only to find that Bullguard halts any connection to the Internet when installed. (The irony is that Bullguard itself cannot connect to the Internet!)

I'm running the Gamers edition, not that that matters, and have tried both 8.5 and 8.7 to no avail. I have had to uninstall Bullguard while we wait for a fix to this problem, meaning that I'm paying for software that is no longer working, and that in the meantime no backups are being sent to the Bullguard server.

To say I'm furious is a wild understatement.

PS. It seems a little unfair to lock other posts talking about the 'No Internet Access' problem and direct them to this forum thread, which is talking about the (associated?) HomeGroup problem and (if you were to only glance at the title) would seem to indicate an issue with streaming to Xboxes and PS3s.
Posted 11/25/2009 10:43 AM

SirDigbyChicken Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
I should, of course, stress that my irritation is directed at Bullguard (who are still claiming the suite works with Windows 7 - https://www.bullguard.com/try/bullguard-internet-security.aspx), and not at the earlier poster, who was simply reporting what he had been told! :-)
Posted 11/25/2009 1:47 PM

iarhill Valued member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Or in this case she! Yes -BG say fully compatible with Win 7 on their website, which contravenes the trade descriptions act. Apparently it is not a firewall issue, but since Win 7 has been around for some time, to be caught out like this does not say much for their r and d. I have internet but no Homegroup. Interestingly 8.5 installed fine on my win 7 desktop, but would not on the laptop, and had to get 8.7 for the laptop. I had file sharing from the desktop to the laptop until I installed BG, and then lost it. Laptop has nVidia, desktop has ATI ( AMD )
Posted 11/25/2009 1:51 PM

SirDigbyChicken Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Many apologies for the inadvertent sexism. And I've also accidentally pressed the 'Ignore' button when I meant to hit reply (is there any way of undoing that)?

Sorry, I'm not having a good day...!
Posted 11/25/2009 2:01 PM

iarhill Valued member

Date Joined Nov 2016
No worries! Hope the day gets better!
Posted 11/25/2009 3:09 PM

Alex S. Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
iarhill and SirDigbyChicken,

I will kindly ask you to back your assumptions with factual evidence before stating that two problems are related, without reading our website documentation first.

Because of this, please note that:

1. The connectivity issue mentioned here has nothing to do with not being able to share media through HomeGroups. It's probably related to point 1 in my earlier post in this thread. If your NIC does not receive an IP because of BullGuard, you can simply repair/reset the connection and all will be back to normal.
2. BullGuard 8.5 is NOT compatible with Windows 7. It will install and run, but there will be a lot of features that will not work unless you either upgrade manually or automatically to 8.7.
3. There is absolutely no indication on our website that states that BullGuard will function after an OS upgrade. You need to reinstall a Windows 7 compatible version after you perform the upgrade.
4. Our current Gamer's Edition version is based on 8.7 architecture, so it will work with Windows 7.

Furthermore, I will also require you PM me the ticket codes where you claim my colleagues misinformed you about the Windows 7 problems.
Alex Sarchiz
www.bullguard.com
Posted 11/25/2009 3:25 PM

SirDigbyChicken Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
"Alex S." wrote:
iarhill and SirDigbyChicken,

I will kindly ask you to back up your assumptions with actual factual evidence before stating that two problems are related, without reading our website documentation first.

Because of this, please note that:

1. The connectivity issue mentioned here has nothing to do with not being able to share media through HomeGroups. It's probably related to point 1 in my earlier post in this thread. If your NIC does not receive an IP because of BullGuard, you can simply repair/reset the connection and all will be back to normal.
2. BullGuard 8.5 is NOT compatible with Windows 7. It will install and run, but there will be a lot of features that will not work unless you either upgrade manually or automatically to 8.7.
3. There is absolutely no indication on our website that states that BullGuard will function after an OS upgrade. You need to reinstall a Windows 7 compatible version after you perform the upgrade.
4. Our current Gamer's Edition version is based on 8.7 architecture, so it will work with Windows 7.

I am only implying that the problems are related because the only thread that I have seen that mentioned my problem (i.e. after an update to Windows 7 with Bullguard still on the machine Windows reports that it is not connected to the Internet) here - https://forum.bullguard.com/forum/15/Windows-7-x64-and-BullGuard-87_78979.html - was locked, and further discussion pointed to this thread. I made the point myself that the title is rather misleading, given what I am trying to discuss.

1. I'm not interested in (or have not yet encountered) the homegroup problem, but do have a problem with Bullguard essentially breaking my Internet connection.
2. I have uninstalled Bullguard 8.5, rebooted, installed Bullguard 8.7, and was still left without a working internet connection. I do not consider that to show a program that is compatible with windows 7, and was quoting with interest iarhill's account of her contact with customer support.
3. See point 2 above.
4. See point 2 above.

As a longstanding paying customer, if the best you can do is imply that I haven't done what I've been told, or that I'm posting here and making spurious allegations when I shouldn't, then I don't think much of the helpfulness of these support forums.

Best wishes

Martin
Posted 11/25/2009 3:36 PM

Alex S. Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Martin,

As you confirmed, these are actually assumptions, not facts.

If repairing/resetting the connection will not do the trick (as I pointed up above), then the problem is most likely related to software conflict. There have been very few reports of connectivity issues from our Windows 7 userbase. This means that the cause of the problem is local and has nothing to do with OS compatibility.

Of course, we have to track and isolate these problems as well. But, before you make any other assumptions on what might the cause be, please try asking us first. You can do that by contacting support at support@bullguard.com

Thank you for your cooperation.
Alex Sarchiz
www.bullguard.com
Posted 11/25/2009 3:39 PM

iarhill Valued member

Date Joined Nov 2016
ALex - I agree with the previous poster. Firstly I was not emailed a transcript of the conversation that I had with Tudor, nor a ticket number. Nor do I like the tone of what has been written - if you remember, I am a paying customer.

I do not have a connectivity issue - as you can see I can connect to the internet. Nor was either of my pcs upgraded, each was a clean install. Not only did Tudor tell me that the inability to use Homegroups was a known issue, he also confirmed that there was no indication of when or if a resolution would be brought out. Maybe in version 9 or maybe not. This was also the nub of what I had been told when I first installed BG by live chat. I had seen the issue on the forums and wanted to know if there would be a resolution ( again interestingly I was not emailed a copy of the live chat, which is what normally happens when you do this with companies such as Epson ). I asked him if the only solution was to uninstall Bullguard, to which he replied yes.

Are you now saying that it is possible to have Homegroups between two computers running 8.7?
Posted 11/25/2009 4:00 PM

SirDigbyChicken Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
"Alex S." wrote: Martin,

As you confirmed, these are actually assumptions, not facts.

If repairing/resetting the connection will not do the trick (as I pointed up above), then the problem is most likely related to software conflict. There have been very few reports of connectivity issues from our Windows 7 userbase. This means that the cause of the problem is local and has nothing to do with OS compatibility.

Of course, we have to track and isolate these problems as well. But, before you make any other assumptions on what might the cause be, please try asking us first. You can do that by contacting support at support@bullguard.com

Thank you for your cooperation.

Thank you for your latest response, which I must say I found rather patronising and rude. I don't care if there is a link between my issue and the HomeGroup issue or not; I only want my problem sorted. I have tried asking for help via that email address. I am still awaiting a response to my submission of a sysdump file. I have been without Bullguard all day which, given that I've paid for a subscription, is somewhat galling. I have found a thread regarding my problem (which you have locked) containing a couple of folk with a similar problem to me - how dare you try to sweep my problem under the carpet and say that it's just "local" that you've only had a small number of problems (so far?!) and that therefore it's "nothing to do with OS compatibility".

Since installing one of your competitor's products, I've had no problems.
Nor did I on another recently upgraded machine, with a different AV suite. (It didn't even need to be uninstalled and then reinstalled.)
However, the moment I install Bullguard 8.7 on this machine, I lose all (apparent) connection.

I'm disgusted at your treatment of the concerns raised in this thread, which seems more about saving face than actually helping people. I've wasted an entire working day trying to sort this out, and I'm no further forward than I was this morning.
Posted 11/25/2009 4:10 PM

Alex S. Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
iarhill,

Again, I must stress the fact that our QA department is working on a patch that will solve the HomeGroup problem for 8.7. 9.0 is still way ahead, so telling customers that they should wait for a new version is not exactly a viable solution.

I will also quote myself on what I have posted above regarding the HomeGroup problem:

"Alex S." wrote: 2. Media sharing is not possible via pre existent HomeGroups if BullGuard is installed. Also, no HomeGroups can be created if BullGuard is running.

Which means that if all conditions are met (all the machines in the HomeGroup run Windows 7), the HomeGroup will not function if BullGuard is installed. Also, to directly answer your question, no new HomeGroups can be created either.

One of your previous posts speaks of BullGuard not respecting the trade descriptions act, because our website falsely advertises that BullGuard 8.7 is compatible with Windows 7. Therefore, you are directly insinuating that if HomeGroups do not work, BullGuard is not compatible with Windows 7, which is totally erroneous and misleading to anyone who reads your posts. If a software suite has issues with certain OS components, it does not mean that it's incompatible with the operating system itself. If that philosophy were to be used, I don't think any type of software would exist today.

With the risk of repeating myself yet again, the responsible persons know about it, and it will fixed via an update soon.

Thank you for your understanding.
Alex Sarchiz
www.bullguard.com
Posted 11/25/2009 4:28 PM

SirDigbyChicken Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
"Alex S." wrote:
I will also quote myself on what I have posted above regarding the HomeGroup problem:

"Alex S." wrote: 2. Media sharing is not possible via pre existent HomeGroups if BullGuard is installed. Also, no HomeGroups can be created if BullGuard is running.

Which means that if all conditions are met (all the machines in the HomeGroup run Windows 7), the HomeGroup will not function if BullGuard is installed. Also, to directly answer your question, no new HomeGroups can be created either.

One of your previous posts speaks of BullGuard not respecting the trade descriptions act, because our website falsely advertises that BullGuard 8.7 is compatible with Windows 7. Therefore, you are directly insinuating that if HomeGroups do not work, BullGuard is not compatible with Windows 7, which is totally erroneous and misleading to anyone who reads your posts. If a software suite has issues with certain OS components, it does not mean that it's incompatible with the operating system itself. If that philosophy were to be used, I don't think any type of software would exist today.

At risk of jumping in on what is essentially a separate strand of the discussion, I don't think what has been said is erroneous or misleading at all. I certainly would consider an AV-type suite that stops something as useful and 'core' as the Windows 7 HomeGroup from functioning to be very much not therefore compatible with that operating system. (Whether a court would agree with me on that, well, I really don't know.) And I'm not sure I want BullGuard working, if it's going to cause other problems with my home network! I do appreciate that you're trying to defend your employers, Alex, and that they've left you batting on a sticky wicket, but I really don't think you can argue that BullGuard 8.7 is 100% compatible with Windows 7 (my own problem notwithstanding).

Perhaps I had better wait for an update/patch and/or investigate terminating my subscription. I have had a polite response from Support and we'll see where that leads us, but I really don't hold out much hope.

Best wishes

Martin
Posted 11/25/2009 4:39 PM

iarhill Valued member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Thanks Alex - and yes Martin you are probably correct in saying that the poor guy has been left walking the plank! Like you I would have said that Homegroup is somewhat integral to Windows 7! And looking at the Bullguard website I saw "
BullGuard for Microsoft Windows 7
At BullGuard we specialise in technically excellent, easy to use internet security products designed exclusively for home and small business users. Now fully optimised for Microsoft Windows 7"

Now to me "fully optimised " should include Homegroups.

However apart from this I like the product, and especially the live support ( and Tudor has probably now had a telling off! ) so I am prepared to stay with it. But perhaps Alex could let us know as soon as they have a patch for this since it would be very useful to transfer files from one computer to another. The whole thing about win 7 is that it was supposed to make it easy!
Posted 11/25/2009 5:10 PM

Alex S. Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
This "poor guy" is not defending anyone. I'm just presenting things exactly how they are.

As soon as the problem is solved, everyone who has been reporting the problems described in this thread will be notified.

If you need to know the technical background of the HomeGroup problem, I'll be happy to detail it. Unfortunately, I cannot do more anything until the patch is released.
Alex Sarchiz
www.bullguard.com
  • Unread posts or replies
  • No unread posts or replies
  • Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)
  • No Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)

Forum Information

Currently it is Saturday, October 1, 2022, 8:24 PM (GMT +2)
There are a total of 61,974 posts in 13,697 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 0 new threads and 0 reply posts.

Who's online

This forum has 38,573 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, iAwake.
38 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.