Is it worth upgrading BullGuard 8.7 to Bullguard 9.0

Posted 4/18/2010 6:36 AM

victorash Valued member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 13
Would like to hear from anyone who has updated to Bullguard 9.0 32 Bit, Im currently running Bullguard 8.7 so want to know if it is wort upgrading.

I have been running Bullguard 9.0 64 Bit on another computer and have raised the issue that the 64 Bit version did not provide any information on the type or size of files being undated when doing a virus update. I have now been advised by Bullguard Tech Support that this feature has been removed from both the 32 Bit and 64 Bit versions of Bullguard 9..

Can anyone confirm if the new Bullguard 9 32 Bit version no longer gives any details regarding type or size of of Virus Updates ?

Thanks
Posted 4/18/2010 4:59 PM

Dickens Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 273
I have benn using version 9.0, 32 bit for several months. I am quite happy with it - once I got used to the very different desktop displays.

One particular good feature of v9.0 is that if your computer is not on when a scheduled scan is due to take place; that scan will start shortly after you next switch on your computer.

Regarding type and size of the updates - V9.0 does not give the type or size. If you are checkiing for udates it will tell the type of update available, ie: Virus Definitions.
Posted 5/22/2010 10:30 PM

AJK Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 4
Seriously NO

I've just downgraded all of our computers back to 8.7

I did try 9.1 beta as I hoped it would resolve some of the performance problems I was seeing, but it made it worse. I'm back to 8.7 now and will stay there until I either see a stable version or (more likely) my subs run out and I move to another product

Regards

Andy
Posted 5/23/2010 9:29 AM

Dickens Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
I would be interested to know what performance problems you were experiencing.

I still find 9.0 to be OK, however I did find one issue that was serious. My BullGuard Firewall would not always open on connection to the internet and the warning would often be hidden behind my email server page, only to be seen when I had turned off Windows Mail. BullGuard Support told me that my RAM (only 1GB) may not be suffient to support BullGuard 9.0.

I have since upgraded my RAM to 2GB - since then, the problem has not occurred again.
Posted 5/23/2010 6:21 PM

AJK Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
"Dickens" wrote:
I would be interested to know what performance problems you were experiencing.

I still find 9.0 to be OK, however I did find one issue that was serious. My BullGuard Firewall would not always open on connection to the internet and the warning would often be hidden behind my email server page, only to be seen when I had turned off Windows Mail. BullGuard Support told me that my RAM (only 1GB) may not be suffient to support BullGuard 9.0.

I have since upgraded my RAM to 2GB - since then, the problem has not occurred again.
Generally version 9 degraded start-up and my main system has 4Gb RAM and even my netbook has 2Gb so memory wasn't the problem

Once the system was running all was fine in terms of performance, but going back to 8.7 has dropped my start-up times on both machines by about 15% with no other changes

regards

Andy
Posted 5/23/2010 6:56 PM

Dickens Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
By startup do you mean from the time you switch on your computer to the time you connect with the internet? If so, I have to agree with you on that point. My system confuguration has just 4 programmes on startup - they are are all active within a less than a minute; I then wait for what seems ages until my internet connection is made.
Posted 5/24/2010 8:06 AM

PRB Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 2
:cry:

I've just updated and I've got two complaints already...

1 - I can't find where to schedule virus scans - (remember that facility...). It likes you can only do it online.
2 - the backup screens have been made idiot friendly - so the simple screen that showed all your scheduled backups, when they were last run etc has gone and you have a maze of mouse clicks to go through. I have eight in my list and it's going to be a real pain to use in future.

I wish I hadn't upgraded.
Posted 5/24/2010 9:00 AM

PRB Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
I've just found the schedule for virus scans - "profiles".
Just as painful a dialogue as for backups.

Why has it all been dumbed down?
Posted 5/24/2010 7:44 PM

AJK Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
"PRB" wrote:

Why has it all been !!!!ed down?
Because ... to be blunt it's not aimed at people who know about computers it's aimed at people who will install and forget

What bullguard do is offer a help service on top of the Bitdefender AV engine and from my recent dealings if it's not already in the help files then that's limited (8 support messages logged in teh last 6 months and and 4 still waiting a response since 3rd March)
Posted 5/24/2010 9:55 PM

Appleonia Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 3
Hi there. I can safely say "definetely not" . I wish I had not upgraded. After 4 years of great Bullguard protection, it has al lfinally gone wrong. I'll bet someone has bought the company and had some "great ideas" and gone fu**ed it. I evenually managed to revert back to 8.7 after about a week of trying Bullguard's various "fixes" and most of the time had no access to my hard drive at all, except in safe mode. Even now, after fully system scan and endless problems I have slow internet loading times, refresh rates are slow, just opening folders is hard work. Unless BG come up with something great before my sub runs out - they will be losing my custom. This has beeen very problematic. Unable to access start menu, no task manager, CPU overload, inability to access sytem restore to name a few more problems. Very vague e mail responses from BG have made me pretty mad too, and their inability to admit that their software has been very very very screwy for soooooo many people.

What can be done to fix it all now? probably a COMPLETE system wipe and re-load. Who's going to pay for that I wonder?

I am very !!!!d off with BG and feel like kicking the front doors off their office. Not happy. Not good. Worth a refund I would say.
Posted 5/24/2010 10:08 PM

Elmo Valued member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 12
I upgraded to 9.0 a few weeks ago. After 4 years of happy contentment with Bullguard, now very upset. It's so slow at startup. Also the user-interface is awful - totally counter-intuitive and impossible to find your way around. Also full of "bugs" - eg it keeps reminding you that you haven't run a scan for ages, even if you have (it only seems to recognise a pre-set scan).

I would like to return to 8.7, does anyone know how as it's no longer available as a download that I can find.

Unless BG sorts this mess out I'm finding another Security suite.
Posted 5/25/2010 8:48 PM

Elmo Valued member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 12
Got fed up with 9.0 and have reverted to 8.7. After downloading the 8.7 install file, I uninstalled Bullguard completely. Then using Windows "System Restore" I reverted to a time before 9.0. I then uninstalled Bullguard again (otherwise the new installation of 8.7 didn't work). Then installed 8.7.

Fantastic, all problems gone as far as I can tell.

For anyone that's interested v8.7 can be downloaded from:
https://downloads.bullguard.com/BullGuard_87.exe
Posted 5/28/2010 8:41 AM

Fax Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 3
I have been reselling Bullguard since version 5 some years ago, i have now had to pull it from the shelves as countless customers have complained about their machines being slow with 9. Not only that, yesterday an update to the spamfilter is causing Outlook 02 to consistantly crash and restart, looks like Bullguard have done a Norton.
Posted 5/28/2010 9:05 AM

AlbanyComputers Valued member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 16
Don't install 9 or 9.1

I like "Fax" have been selling Bullguard since V5 and have been very please with it and support.

V9 usesd a shed load of resources e.g. RAM on my Win7 gaming machine at home with 8gb or ram it uses neark 1/2 a gig!!! V9.1. was no better, so reverted back to 8.7.

Also very slow to start on a 3ghz Dualcore 2 with 8gb ram, and sometimes it take an age for programes to respond, even though no CPU resource were being used. Removed and no problems.

I'm seriously thinking of moving to another A/V product, i've lost confidence in V9

V8.7 has had an update where it says V9 is available, would you like to upgrade.... Who thought to include that!!!!!! Now we are going to get a load of happy 8.7 users (we have a couple of hundred at least) all upgrading and then have problems and then come back instore... not a good avertisement for us or bullguard.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Steve
Posted 7/14/2010 2:30 PM

Computer Services Southport Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
We are resellers too and these are our opinions only.

Originally we HATED the new version - but have come to 'learn' its differences and familiarise ourselves with the new layouts.

V9.0 runs smoother on Vista and Seven than it does on XP. You can tinker and tweak it yourself, there is plenty of 'how to' on the forum, however the only time we've needed to tweak is on slower and poor spec hardware.

Bullguard will in the fullness of time no doubt release patches to keep us all happy.

The upgrade situation from 8.7 and on has caused problems for our less pc literate customers, however this had lead to the opportunity to upgrade our customers hardware. In the main the only problem pcs we had were low RAM based systems which needed modernising or scrapping.
Posted 7/18/2010 11:12 AM

BB Valued member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 11
Hi, can you please enlighten us as to what we have to do to get BG 9 working?...

Thank you for your assistance

regds

BB
Posted 7/23/2010 11:48 AM

Alin Vlad Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 389
In case you experience freezing/slowdowns issues after installing BullGuard 9.0, try these steps:

1. Open BullGuard by right clicking it's red round icon in System Tray, bottom right corner of your screen.
2. Click on the Antivirus section (lower side of the BullGuard window) and then click the Antivirus settings icon.
3. In the Settings tab, tick the 'Only scan files loaded for execution' option and untick the 'Scan boot sectors' and 'Scan web traffic' options.
4. Go to Advanced tab and untick the 'Scan file from network locations' window.

Should you still encounter difficulties, get back to us and we will further assist you from there.
Alin Vlad
Community Manager
[url]support@bullguard.com[/url]
www.bullguard.com

Download Free Trial version of BullGuard

You have a BullGuard related problem? Post your question on these forums, contact Support or contact me on Twitter!
Posted 9/20/2010 2:36 PM

oojimmyflip Valued member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 11
we are runniong windows xp pro service pk 3 on six computers now all have bullgard version 9 on them no slow downs screens freezing etc all seems pretty good and BG 9 seems to let you tweak if you want to, we never had earlier versions we had Kaspersky internet security now that has really gone all Norton. Kaspersky was always the last program to load and the desktop would hang until it did load then it was always updating every single time you started the computers up. unpgrading online was a no-no it to crashed your pc or froze windows completely.
after many years of reliable service we have dumped Kaspersky in favour of BG 9 I just hope our experiences will not be anything like the complaints I have read here on this forum, which truly is enough to put any potential customers off completely. what I never understand is why software producers have to meddle with something that works so well and completely change it format so it looks different and delivers differently to the previous year.
if you have a vechicle that is running very well you dont take it appart to make it run worse do you, you leave it alone.
Posted 9/24/2010 3:53 PM

Keltic Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 80
I would say go for it, i run BG upto 8.7then went to Bitdefender( peeps who make BG av engine) purely for the child protection facilities, i installed V9 on both my cousins and father in laws systems and have had no issues. As said elsewhere lower spec machines seem to struggle with it but thats true with most new Av software.

As for negative posts on the forum you find that on all software sites and one thing to remember is that every pc is different so what works on one may not work the same on another depending on what software/bios is running and spec of systems etc. Another thing i recently saw was antispyware software like adaware and spybot conflicting with some av's . I had an issue with bitdefender slowdown myself and when i removed spybot the issue vanished yet i know someone else who runs both together with no issues.

All fully updated and virus free.
  • Unread posts or replies
  • No unread posts or replies
  • Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)
  • No Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)

Forum Information

Currently it is Friday, December 2, 2022, 1:20 PM (GMT +1)
There are a total of 61,974 posts in 13,697 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 0 new threads and 0 reply posts.

Who's online

This forum has 38,573 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, iAwake.
59 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.