The BullGuard products and services are part of NortonLifeLock Inc., a global leader in consumer Cyber Safety with a portofolio of brands including Norton, Avira and more. Learn more at NortonLifeLock.com

V8 update killed my bullguard!

Posted 6/27/2008 6:11 PM

Conercao Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 1
Hi, I use bullguard on 3 computers, 2 XP and 1 Vista. I tried to update my XP desktop to v8 and when it loads it says ive got the wrong type of account or something to that effect and promptly tells me I dont have a firewall or antivirus........ However, ive still got over 2 months paid subscription left, and everything seems fine on the other computers... the XP laptop running v7.3 and the vista one running v8...... Any ideas? I had to do a system restore on the desktop just to get Bullguard working again but now it says that it cant initialise the scanner........ says try updating and restarting... although it says the antivirus is still online and the firewall is turned on (for some reason they reappear on 7.3).

Anyone else had this problem? Im gonna hold off updating the XP laptop till i can get this solved..
Posted 7/9/2008 11:05 AM

Dartelaar Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 2
I am sorry but I do not even know what you mean with "v8". I know V8 only as the name of a vegetable drink here in Belgium (Europe), sold in cans like Coca Cola!

My answer as a BG customer for more than 2 years is in general:
[list]*Stay away from updating if you feel your system works fine. I too had (now a long time ago) login problem for BG after crash and reinstallation. But I used the chat support of BG: an excellent tool I never found existing at Norton's, Kaspersky, Panda or whatever.[/list]
[list]*From BG chat I got more than once to delete ALL traces of annoying stuff (also in the registry) the following advice and it works really fine: go with the windows key + Break (= shortest way but you'll find it also under Properties of your desktop page) to your system properties. Check the box to delete your system repair points OF COURSE ONLY WHEN NOW YOUR SYSTEM WORKS FINE. Restart your windows and go back and uncheck the same box to start recording system repair points again. And make manually a first repair point under Help & Repair (I guess you know how, I myself make quite regularly own repair points instead of trusting too much the automatic functions). For best results you can do all this in Safe mode (at booting pressing F8). Then restart in normal mode. The BG log after a scan often shows that there are virus-traces in the C:\System Volume Information (you have one in each partition if you have split your HD in partitions). And that is where the system repair points are located and that you cannot look into via the explorer.[/list]
[list]*I use additionally to BG for removing possible errors in the Registry the excellent programme CCleaner (from Filehippo downloadable): it is a option there and I never let CCleaner look for unused extensions and very seldom for possibly defective ActiveX elements. Also not "missing dll-files". There is a backup in the folder called "backup" within CCleaner under Program Files. NEVER NEVER let delete (by checking the box next to this name in a choice list) nor change "blank.htm" by any "totalitarian" registry cleaner or you won't be able to boot or to start windows.[/list]
  • Unread posts or replies
  • No unread posts or replies
  • Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)
  • No Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)

Forum Information

Currently it is Wednesday, October 5, 2022, 6:43 AM (GMT +2)
There are a total of 61,974 posts in 13,697 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 0 new threads and 0 reply posts.

Who's online

This forum has 38,573 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, iAwake.
63 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.