The BullGuard products and services are part of NortonLifeLock Inc., a global leader in consumer Cyber Safety with a portofolio of brands including Norton, Avira and more. Learn more at NortonLifeLock.com

Antivirus/spybot/ad-aware unable to update and google problem

Posted 11/17/2008 10:55 PM

tivision Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 2
Today I had a windows warning pop-up that I had spyware on my pc. I tried running spybot S&D but it wouldn't start and ad-aware and AVG were unable to connect to the update servers. I downloaded spybot SD again, but it can't connect during installation, so won't finish installing. I am also unable to connect to certain websites (namely the AVG, norton etc websites). When I google something and click the link to the any website, it will open a new tab with some random generic search engine or other spam website. I downloaded the FIX thing suggested here, but it only had CCleaner and the manual and nothing else in the folder. I already had CCleaner and had run it, adaware and AVG and these problems still occur. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Edit: I see that the google problem is caused by something called go-google.com
I have tried downloading the malwarebytes and other programs, but like spybot SD, they do not run/install.
Posted 11/18/2008 4:38 AM

Touch Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 12974
Hello :smile:

Let´s try Malwarebyte, slightly different ->

Download malwarebyte

[color=#222222>https://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=mncol;pop&cdlPid=10878968[/url]
Or here:

https://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=mncol;pop&cdlPid=10878968[/color]

Rename the file to setup.exe
Run the setup.exe file
Rename the directory it's installing to as Malware and rename the folder as Malware too in the installation setup screen
When it gets to the final step of the installation it will seem like it froze....it hasn't but it will take anywhere from 15mins to an hour to get through that step so just let it do its thing.
Go into the Malware folder in through Program Files
Rename the mbam.exe or what not file to Mb.exe and run it.
Do a full computer scan

Check all and remove/fix/delete them.

Restart your computer and post a log

[color=black face="Courier New" sab="311">[2]Click here: Before-posting-a-log[/2][/url]

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />[/color]
Do not PM me with logfiles. They will be deleted.

Posted 11/18/2008 5:35 PM

tivision Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 2
Everything seems to be working fine now :smile: Was it the log from the malwarebytes you would like posted? Thanks a lot for the fast response and great help. It's a great thing you are doing here.
Posted 11/18/2008 6:43 PM

Touch Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
I´m glad to help :smile:

And yes, it was the log from malwarebyte, as it can give a hint of more (possible) infections.

[color=black face="Courier New" sab="311">[2]Click here: Before-posting-a-log[/2][/url]

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />[/color]

Posted 11/18/2008 9:10 PM

paytons place Valued member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 13
Hi touch

I've got a similar problem and tried your suggestion, renamed the folders etc. Evrything going fine (much futher than I've got with other suggestions) until running the mb.exe which brought up the egg timer but failed to run!!

Please help this is really baffling me....
Posted 11/19/2008 12:26 AM

Touch Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Hello paytons place.

I´ll suggest you read My signature -

[2]Do NOT post your problem in someone elses thread. [/2]

Posted 11/19/2008 9:15 AM

paytons place Valued member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 13
  • Unread posts or replies
  • No unread posts or replies
  • Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)
  • No Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)

Forum Information

Currently it is Monday, August 8, 2022, 1:12 PM (GMT +2)
There are a total of 61,974 posts in 13,697 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 0 new threads and 0 reply posts.

Who's online

This forum has 38,573 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, iAwake.
16 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.