The BullGuard products and services are part of NortonLifeLock Inc., a global leader in consumer Cyber Safety with a portofolio of brands including Norton, Avira and more. Learn more at NortonLifeLock.com

~tmpa.exe pop-up problem!!

Posted 1/7/2009 7:10 PM

M6368 Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 2
Could anyone help with the following problem (it is driving me crazy!!)

a pop-up warning is continually appearing on my screen 'tmpa.exe has stopped working' I get four pop-ups one after the other.....I have scanned the computer and nothing shows there is also nothing appearing in programs or a program search. I am not getting any security warnings on the pop-up just the message above with an option to close the program.

Any ideas???
Posted 1/7/2009 7:34 PM

Touch Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 12974
Hello :smile:

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

[color=#0000ff>https://www.spywarefri.dk/downloads1/mbam-setup.exe[/url]

Or here:

https://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=mncol;pop&cdlPid=10878968[/color]

to your desktop.

Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.

At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.

If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.

Please connect all your external hard drive/flash drive before running Malwarebyte

Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.

When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.

Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location.

NB: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

Click here to download HJTinstall.exe

Save HJTinstall.exe to your desktop.
Double click on the HJTinstall.exe icon on your desktop.

By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Hijack This.

Click I accept

Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.

Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.

Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.

Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.

DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet.

Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Post hijackthis log along with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware log

[color=black face="Courier New" sab="311">[2]Click here: Before-posting-a-log[/2][/url]

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />[/color]
Do not PM me with logfiles. They will be deleted.

Posted 1/8/2009 2:55 PM

MrBaker.TN Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 1
This must be a new problem becouse I just got it too. Or last night. I was using AVAST for protection but, something happened to it a couple of months ago becouse it won't let me update, saying that my registration was out of date and when I tried to fix it it doesn,t update.
Anyway, if this works instead then I will uninstall it and just use this one.

[color=red>][/color]

Thanks I will post results soon.
Posted 1/9/2009 6:27 AM

Touch Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
MrBaker.TN -> You will not post the results in this topic. Make your own topic - Thenk you

[color=black face="Courier New" sab="311">[2]Click here: Before-posting-a-log[/2][/url]

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />[/color]

Posted 1/10/2009 4:52 AM

Xanzia Member

Date Joined Nov 2016

Hi this is of interest to me, was getting a tmpa.exe not working/closing message box

The background - my brother tried to download content and ignored a clear warning not to. After this, for some time we had a red shield X warning in the lower right screen bar tell me that I had 'security issues', from time to time a message would appear in the middle of my screen asking me if i wanted to scan for viruses. It seemed avast was blocking wherever it wanted us to go to 'fix it', so we turned avast off and took a look.

Something called internetstabilityscan (or something like that) attempted to convince me that my entire system was riddled with trojans. Of course the so called removal UI didnt work (the 'remove all' button was frozen as was the entire dialogue box), and just spawned a series of apparently meaningless item removal pop up boxes. I was surprised to see a Windows defender prompt to restart so malware could be removed but on restart the red shield X was still there.

I ran a Hijackthis, and found only one 'Nasty' item (04), which i removed along with one or two other things that looked undesirable.

I was again prompted by Win Defender to restart and on that 2nd restart the red shield X warning vanished from the lower right screen bar, and has not returned.

Even though it appear resolved I took Touch's advice to download and run malwarebytes Antimalware scanner, its running now. If it turns anything up Ill paste it in this thread.
Posted 1/11/2009 7:03 PM

M6368 Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 2
That has done the trick!!! Thank you, very much appreciated........
Posted 1/12/2009 6:08 AM

Touch Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Great :smile:

Now your computer problems are solved, it is time for the clean-up procedure. Download this file and save it on desktop as FIX_removal.exe

https://www.ctrlaltdel.dk/FIX_removal.exe

Double click FIX_removal.exe and follow the instructions - this will remove the programs that you have used during the cleaning process. Once the program is finished, reboot your computer to finalise the clean-up procedure.

I also suggest you read Tony Klein´s article :

So how did I get infected in the first place.

If you have any comments or questions, feel free to post back

Posted 1/20/2009 11:54 PM

Falk Oberdorf Member

Date Joined Nov 2016
[3]Hi, thaaaaaank you very much. [/3]

[3][/3]

[3]I could delete this stupid tmpa.exe file. It was really crazy: All 5 minutes this stupid popup-windows. (Mostly 3 or 4 windows, terrible) And this for 2 days. I found out that this was the tmpa.exe in my tmp-folder, but it was not possible to delete, because it was said, that I have not the rights to do this. I really thought, that I must live with this popups the rest of my life.[/3]

[3]And now it is gone! Wonderful!!![/3]

[3]I think, I was infacted, when I downloaded Flash Player. At least my Windows-warner said this to me.[/3]

[3]Regards,[/3]
  • Unread posts or replies
  • No unread posts or replies
  • Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)
  • No Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)

Forum Information

Currently it is Monday, August 8, 2022, 8:53 AM (GMT +2)
There are a total of 61,974 posts in 13,697 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 0 new threads and 0 reply posts.

Who's online

This forum has 38,573 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, iAwake.
31 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.