The BullGuard products and services are part of NortonLifeLock Inc., a global leader in consumer Cyber Safety with a portofolio of brands including Norton, Avira and more. Learn more at NortonLifeLock.com

Win32:Trojan-gen in System Restore/mysterious black screens

Posted 1/13/2010 4:03 AM

Jintan Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 1049
The updating video drivers may be a good idea. I received the dump logs, thanks. nVidia shows directly involved in two of the crashes, and one displays an event a web search shows has been happening to likely hundreds of folks:

THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER_M (100000ea)
The device driver is spinning in an infinite loop, most likely waiting for
hardware to become idle. This usually indicates problem with the hardware
itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly.

I had researched this same issue before in a different place, and in checking again, the most often cited solution is to uninstall the current nVidia drivers/software, reboot, then locate and remove any nVidia driver files left behind. And then download the latest drivers and install them.
Posted 1/13/2010 4:13 AM

IceDog Chill Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Total Posts: 50
You're welcome.

Let me guess: the driver remnants will be in the nVidia folder?

Earlier, I looked in the nVidia folder in the C drive and saw two folders, both with a different version number as the folder name. Whether or not that means something, I don't know.

And if I remove the drivers, won't that basically disable my video card? I thought removing drivers means you remove all supporting software for the equipment it goes to.
Posted 1/13/2010 11:30 PM

Jintan Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
If you uninstall the nVidia software, Windows will revert to it's own default graphics software to load the graphics drivers needed. You can check the following folder, and make sure no nVidia *.sys driver files are there:

C:\Windows\System32\drivers <----

But be sure to already have on hand the latest install for your nVidia card, to return that once you have rebooted.
Posted 1/14/2010 2:40 AM

Date Joined Nov 2016
Will the drivers download automatically or do I need to find and download them? The last thing I want to be in this case is stuck.
Posted 1/14/2010 3:56 AM

Jintan Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
No, you do need to locate and download the nVidia installer that is correct for your card. Here is the page to start from to locate that:

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
Posted 1/14/2010 5:32 AM

Date Joined Nov 2016
As I've never done this before and don't want to cripple my system, I compiled a list of files to terminate from the Driver Details list of the video card before uninstalling the drivers, and I want to make sure these are the files to delete:

In the WINDOWS folder:

\help\nvcpl.hlp

\help\nvwcplen.hlp

\system32\DRIVERS\nv4_mini.sys

\system32\nv4_disp.dll

\system32\nvapi.dll

\system32\nvcod.dll

\system32\nvcodins.dll

\system32\nvcpl.dll

\system32\nvdisps.dll

\system32\nvdispsr.dll

\system32\nvgames.dll

\system32\nvgamesr.dll

\system32\nvhwvid.dll

\system32\nvmccs.dll

\system32\nvmccss.dll

\system32\nvmccssr.dll

\system32\nvmctray.dll

\system32\nvmobls.dll

\system32\nvmoblsr.dll

\system32\nvnt4cpl.dll

\system32\nvoglnt.dll

\system32\nvsvc32.exe

\system32\nvvitvs.dll

\system32\nvvitvsr.dll

\system32\nvwddi.dll

\system32\nvwss.dll

\system32\nvwssr.dll
Posted 1/14/2010 11:29 PM

Jintan Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Those are all files that remained after you uninstalled the nVidia software, or just a list of all the associated files you could find related to nVidia? Darn - I had just logged in and this was my first response, and I found that the "n" was no longer working on my favorite keyboard, so had to break away and go get another at the shop.

Assuming you have not yet uninstalled the software, keep this list handy, then uninstall it. Then any of these files that remain after a reboot you can just rename by adding an ".old" extension to the file name. This will leave them intact, but also put them out of the picture.
Posted 1/15/2010 12:35 AM

Date Joined Nov 2016
Well, at least now I know techs aren't immune to problems. No problem at all. And I hope your new system's better.

That is the list I got from clicking the Driver Details button before uninstalling the drivers. I remembered there was a list shown somewhere and to be safe, I looked for it, found it, and typed it into a NotePad file for just this purpose. I'm now curious if those are the files to terminate or if deleting any of those files will ruin any part of my system. Hm, interesting tip.

As for retaining the list, that's no problem. I have it on a text file and printed it out.

I followed each step, typed out the list I was given, handled the drivers listed as you instructed. It's still hitting me. I don't know if it matters, but I think I should mention that it seems to only affect Second Life, a virtual world I have a business on. I don't know why this issue has the same habits that McAfee had, though.
Posted 1/16/2010 12:10 AM

Jintan Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
From their promo:

[code]Second Life is a free 3D virtual world[\code]

3D settings are likely the issue then. In general, what are the 3D settings in the nVidia display there, and what are they set to?
Posted 1/16/2010 12:24 AM

Date Joined Nov 2016
Strange thing is that I've been on SL for over five years with no issues before McAfee's programs turned on me.

As for the 3D settings:
Appearance is set for "Let the 3D application decide".
I don't know what SLI is in Performance.

I was wrong. It's hitting FireFox, too, just like McAfee did.

And it just hit me after the first boot-up of the day.

By the way, it stopped rebooting a few days ago. Now it just goes to a black screen with no warning.

It rebooted itself as I was watching a NewGrounds video with Google Chrome browser on 01-18-2010.

And today, my system black-screened while starting a YouTube video on Google Chrome.

By the way, now when it black-screens, I need to shut off the tower and the monitor then turn them back on if i want to see anything on it.
Posted 1/30/2010 2:23 AM

Jintan Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Not really sure why I did not get the info that you had replied here, so very sorry for the delay. You may need to just go with purchasing a different video card to resolve these problems. It is what I would do after having tried so many repairs.
Posted 1/30/2010 3:17 AM

Date Joined Nov 2016
You didn't see the reply post? That is strange. In any case, no problem.
Ok, thanks.

The part that gets me is: why does it hit on FireFox, but no other browsers?
Posted 1/31/2010 1:13 AM

Jintan Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
In your previous post you did say Google chrome, which is a Internet Explorer browser "skin", so not just Firefox, right?

But the events do seem to be related to graphics, in some form or fashion. Lately there have been some strange problems caused by a slightly older Flash Player install. Let's see if correcting for that brings positive change.

Go here and download and run the actual Flash Player uninstaller for Windows. Reboot, then go here and download and install the latest version of that.
Posted 1/31/2010 3:19 AM

Date Joined Nov 2016
It was specific sites on Chrome, but all of Firefox.

Lately? Problems like black-screening?

I did what you said, then tried FireFox and it seems to be holding for now. I'll get back to you if it happens again.
Posted 2/1/2010 3:05 AM

Jintan Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Yes, see if it was just that faulty Flash Player install.
Posted 2/4/2010 9:37 AM

Date Joined Nov 2016
FireFox seems to be stable. There are some log-in issues on WWE Universe, but it's functioning well.
I tried to go on Second Life, but it froze in a strange way. Later, I tried to defrag twice and my system went into a fit, with what seemed to be a fake shut-off (the power light was still on), followed by the black screen; then, during an error scan, I saw a thick-and-thin black-and-white-lined screen that would've given epileptic seizures to anyone with the medical problem.
Posted 2/4/2010 11:41 PM

Jintan Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
All still going back to graphics, possibly card settings and gaming that relies heavily on graphics. You may want to consider checking this issue out at an actual gaming forum, such as one related to that game you are having problems with.
Posted 2/4/2010 11:54 PM

Date Joined Nov 2016
I just ran into a black screen on FireFox, but that's an idea I didn't think of. Thanks for all your help. :)
Posted 2/6/2010 12:16 AM

Jintan Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
See if you can locate an error log entry tied to when that Firefox issue occurred, and post that back here.

Go to Start - Run, type eventvwr.msc (and press OK). Click on the System icon to expand the list in the right column. Look through that list for Errors posted at the same time you get your shutdown issues. Copy/paste back here any items of significance you see.

You can post what you find back here by double-clicking on each Error/Warning in the log. In the upper corner of that display is an icon (a sorta double file icon) you can click to copy the information to your clipboard, then open a Notepad text and Paste the information, and repeat that to develop a log to post back here for review.
Posted 2/12/2010 10:04 PM

Date Joined Nov 2016
Sorry to cut off procedures, but it seems CNet.com found the problem. Dust. Dust in the most essential parts of the tower. The outward airhole-like vents, the fan in the center of the system, and sprinkled here and there. I had to blast the whole thing with compressed air last Saturday. Nine years of not knowing that I had to do that and now I'm paying for it with swelled and possibly leaking capacitors on my motherboard. That's CNet's diagnosis. In any case, it seems to be running ok, I'm back on Second Life and FireFox with no problems. Whoever told me it was a hardware issue was right.
I want to thank you for your help and for helping to get rid of McAfee.
And if you want any cookies, my mother got a great review. :-)
Posted 2/13/2010 12:38 AM

Jintan Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
I appreciate the offer, but as I was just telling a friend today, I need to back off on so much cookie eating that I do. I appreciate you posting back the update, and the solution as well. Hadn't considered dust build-up. You can easily eyeball the capacitors for problems - they just all need to be flat on top. Any that are starting to fail will show the slight upward bugle, and any further along will show seepage from the center of the "X" at the top.
Posted 2/14/2010 2:50 AM

Date Joined Nov 2016
Ok, no cookies, got it.
CNet mentioned swelling and leaking, too. What liquid is in a capacitor for there to be seepage, bleeding, or leaking? And how can I release the pressure? And I take it you mean the motherboard.
Posted 2/14/2010 4:36 AM

Jintan Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
I am not sure what the fluid is that seeps from them. Usually light brown in color, and really nothing you can do once they begin to fail except replace them, if possible. I have not had much success when doing this though, as far as bringing a failed motherboard back to life.
Posted 2/14/2010 8:14 AM

Date Joined Nov 2016
If possible? Well, back to CNet, then.
Thanks again. :-)
Posted 2/14/2010 10:07 PM

Jintan Advanced member

Date Joined Nov 2016
Is there some resource in particular you are seeking CNet info for?
  • Unread posts or replies
  • No unread posts or replies
  • Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)
  • No Unread Posts (Read Only Forum)

Forum Information

Currently it is Saturday, October 1, 2022, 2:12 PM (GMT +2)
There are a total of 61,974 posts in 13,697 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 0 new threads and 0 reply posts.

Who's online

This forum has 38,573 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, iAwake.
43 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.